«

»

Jan 15

Four Helpful Tips For Preventing Fires In Your Home

Four Helpful Tips For Preventing Fires In Your HomeHome fires kill more than 2,500 Americans each year, and injure 13,000 more. An estimated property loss of $6 billion occurred in 2011 alone, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. There are many common-sense ways to avoid becoming one of these statistics, such as keeping your stove area clear of flammable papers and household chemicals. Others are not so obvious.

 

Install and Maintain Smoke Detectors

 

Most household fire fatalities occur in homes that don’t have working smoke detectors, or don’t have smoke detectors at all. If you have them, set an alert on your phone or mark a calendar each year to make sure you change the batteries! If you’re on a tight budget, check with your local fire department, as many have free smoke detectors as part of their public safety programs.

 

Check Furnaces and Appliances Regularly

 

Furnaces and major appliances should be checked annually to keep them clear and working properly. Dust and grime can foul wiring, clog dryer vents and spark fires. The cost of maintaining and cleaning is minimal compared to risk of fire. A check of small appliances like toasters, microwaves, lamps and space heaters for frayed cords can be a lifesaver, too. HomeSmart from Xcel Energy has an excellent appliance maintenance program, available for a small monthly fee. If you find appliances that are damaged and need repair or you just want them checked, Appliance Repair Denver is another resource that’s only a phone call away!

 

Maintain Chimneys and Furnace Flues

 

Fireplaces chimneys should be checked annually and kept clear of creosote buildup. Screen fireplace openings to prevent sparks from popping out onto rugs and furniture. Natural gas furnaces vent to the outdoors as well, and their warmth can attract rodent and bird nests, causing dangerous carbon monoxide buildup indoors.

 

Never Leave an Open Flame Unattended

 

More than 40 home fires from candles burning are reported each day! Falling asleep with a candle burning, knocking one over or simply leaving one in a drafty room for a few minutes can result in thousands of dollars of property damage, and even loss of life. Even jar candles can crack and explode if they get too hot. Never leave an open flame unattended, especially if there are children in the house.

 

These are just a few of the tips you can follow to keep your family and property safe from fires. Take steps to protect yourself today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


*